What Do My Loved Ones Do
Being worried about your children, spouse, or pets while you're in treatment is normal, but there are many ways to make sure they're being cared for while you are in rehab.
How one's family will fare during rehabilitation remains one of the many challenges that an addict faces if he wants to seek medical assistance for his problem.
All these challenges can be defeated, and understanding your alternatives can help you come up with the best selection for you and your family members.
If you seek aid before you begin your rehab and if you plan thoroughly, then even while you are having treatment your loved ones will be safe.
- Who will take care of my kids while I am at a treatment centre?
- What happens if I do not have someone who can assist?
- What extra choices are present?
- Are my loved ones permitted to visit me?
- How will my family manage when i'm in rehab?
- How do I tell my children about going to rehab?
- What happens to my pet when I am in treatment?
- How can I keep in touch with my loved ones from treatment?
- How can I obtain treatment straight away?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Options For Child Care While In Rehab
Finding someone you trust to care for your children can be difficult if you're thinking about going to rehab. When you are undergoing the recovery program, many people are available to take care of them.
The first choice should be a person close to your family who is already known to the children and they are comfortable with them.
Get in touch with us now on 0800 246 1509 and find the treatment you need.
Parents in rehab usually reach out to their
- Their parents
- Your brothers and sisters
- Close friends
If these individuals are unavailable due to engagements such as school or work, daytime child care could be a viable option. if there are child care services in your neighbourhood, some rehab centres can link you up with them if the rehab centre doesn't have one.
Your kids are permitted to live in the rehab with you if you are a single parent. Programs like this can treat the child for any mental health issues they might have as well as the parent's addiction.
Get in touch with us today and let us assist you in getting a rehab that will let you stay with your child.
How To Talk To Your Child Concerning Rehab
It is very significant to speak with your kid about your dependency and why you are going for a treatment. Carrying on while you are away will be easy as they have a full grasp of what is going on. It will also ensure that they do not think they are to blame for anything.
Some factors to consider when communicating to your kids are
- Get informed about addiction and rehabilitation.
- The more you understand, the easier it will become to elaborate.
- Use language that is fitting to the child's age so that they will understand.
- Avoid using technical terms and medical jargon.
- Choose the appropriate time for the talk.
- The best place is where concentration is possible.
- Make sure to tell them that you know how your addiction influenced them and their emotions.
- Tell them you're sorry if you're hurt their feelings.
- Be very true and open to interrogations.
- The fact that your are responsible for your actions and they can't do anything about it should be discussed with them.
The National Association for Children of Alcoholics produced the "Seven Cs" to educate kids on how to effectively handle with a guardian's substance or alcohol utilisation. Kids are urged to remember the "Seven Cs" to remind them that they're not the source of the difficulty. It also provides support for how to deal with their parent's addiction.
Your Child Should Learn The Seven Cs
- I didn't cause it
- I cannot cure it
- I can't control it
- I can take better care of myself
- By communicating my emotions
- Making health conscious choices, and
- Celebrating me
Non-Profit And Government Child Care Opportunities
You have some alternatives if your friends and family can't take care of your kids. Safe Families for Children is an NGO that can handle that responsibility. If parents are unable to care for them, organizations like these will help find temporary homes for children. You can rest assured that your children will be safe and sound because the Safe Families for Children organization thoroughly checks its volunteer families. This arrangement will help the biological parent keep custody of their children during and after the process of treatment.
In your neighbourhood, you may find certified caregivers if the NGOs do not satisfy you. This should, however, be your last choice.
You will have to sign a Voluntary Placement Agreement (VPA) if you opt to place your child in the foster care system. When you do that, you agree to let the Department of Children's Services take custody and care of your kid for a certain time period. You might have to pay monthly child support.
This is an alternative, however frightening it might sound. You only have to ensure that you are present for all necessary court hearings and that you stay dedicated to the conditions of the VPA. Don't forget that getting clean is what is best for your children and yourself.
Pet Care Options For Rehabilitation
Many families have pets that are considered family members. People with pets often have a hard time finding care for their pets, just like some addicts do for their children. When friends or family are not in a position of caring for your pet as you seek treatment, there are a number of alternatives.
It will cost you a small fortune to if the pets spend a long time at some centres where there are facilities for pets. Getting a sitter for your pet may be an affordable alternative especially for pets that need little care such as fish, cats or rodents. Pet sitters take care of your pets by coming to your house a certain number of times every day or every week. Others will go to the extent of letting your pets live with them till you come back. Pets that require constant care, like dogs or other animals might be better off with this alternative.
Make sure you provide detailed instructions, contact information for your vet, and your pets relevant medical records for someone caring for your pet while you are in treatment. Be certain to give word to your Vet that your pet will be in the attention of a different individual for the period of your program.
Some rehabilitation facilities allow pets to come with their patients if you are sure that you can't be away from your pet. Pet friendly facilities are becoming more popular but are still rare. You might have to travel to another area to find this kind of program. If you are not able to discover a place that permits your pet to stay with you, you will be in a position to get one that allows pets during visiting period.
Visitation With Loved Ones During Treatment
Family assistance is crucial to breaking free from addiction, and a good number of rehab centres feel that their presence will play a role in helping you to get over the problem.
To assist with adjustment, most forms of communication e.g. phone calls and emails along with visitors are permitted for the first week after arrival.
Most rehabs offer visiting hours once the initial adjustment period is over.
Some centres allow daily visits; others only allow them weekly or monthly. The length of visitations also varies by facility.
A counsellor may need to approve visitors and they will be added to an approved visitor's list in order to visit you. View your centres' regulations to make sure that your loved ones match the essential demands for visitation.
When In Rehab Communicating With Loved Ones
You have a few ways to communicate with loved ones when you're in treatment. Programs are different but many of them will allow the use of phones and email or internet during specific times. You are also able to send and receive letters.
We have facilities that even allow you to receive care packages from your loved ones. These packages will however have to be screened by staff members before you receive them to ensure safety. Confirm with your therapy's management to know which items are disallowed in care parcels.
Allowance may also be made for your family to receive treatment at the facility. Your loved ones are affected by your addiction, too. Everybody's emotions are acknowledged and addressed in these meetings.
Monetary Help For Your Family Whilst In Rehab
If you are a primary financial caretaker of your family, then the expenses of addiction program might be a financial strain while you are away. Here are a few ways to lessen money problems down the road
- You can consider the time you spend at the centre as part of your paid time off or sick leave if you have a discussion with your boss about it.
- Your boss may pay part of the medical bill, even if you are financially buoyant and can easily foot the bill.
- You can ask your family and friends to help you.
- you'll be astonished by the number of individuals ready to donate toward therapy expenses of your family's living costs.
- Your health insurance firm might be prepared to pay for a portion of your rehab expenses, so you need to check that.
- Medicare or Medicaid along with the Affordable Care Act provide options which contribute to addiction treatment expenses.
- Check if your company offers short-term disability with your boss, and if it does ask if that includes drug and alcohol addiction treatment.
- Costs can be lowered if you are able to use any of these options.
- Check if the therapy base gives payment options or financing to make payments be easier.
In the scenario that your blood relation gets behind on bills when you're in treatment, attempt contacting your creditors to quickly request for an extension or to modify the due dates for your requital. Most people understand addiction and will support the steps you are taking to get sober and will be happy to work alongside you.
Dependence Therapy Is The Best Choice For You And Your Loved Ones
You have every right to be worried about being absent from your family and going to treatment. You'd be very pressed to get a person who didn't share such emotions while they were going into therapy. Seeking professional assistance shouldn't be discouraged because of anxiety. You getting better, after all, is the best solution for you, as well as your family.
Don't spend one more second of your lives on addiction.