Allowable Things To Bring Inside The Treatment Facility
There are certain items that are not allowed in a rehab facility and so when checking in, you need to be sure which ones are allowed.
Rehab centres have strict policies in place regard what an inpatient can bring with him or her. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
The admission process begins as soon as you check in. During this time, the admissions team belonging to the centres will inspect your belongings to ensure safety and to understand whether any prohibited items are also included. All the details of what you came in with will be recorded in the patient property book.
However, all treatment centres allow you to bring in the necessities that are required. However, each rehab has its own conditions on what they allow and what is not allowed.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Get The Packing Information
Please make sure to consult your rehab with allowed and prohibited things to bring or you can check on their page online. You can also get this info on their website. Although not all centres offer a checklist, some provide the patient in order to prepare them prior to admission. If you are still unable to find the information required you are advised to contact the admissions office of the rehab. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. This will also be an opportune moment for you to inquire about anything that you were not sure with.
Items That Most Clinics Endorse
The policy of every rehab centre is different, and some can be expected to be stricter than the others.
Majority of centres advise patients to bring these
- Names, contact information, and addresses of people you want to be notified or involved in the process whenever required.
- Person ornaments that are used by the person.
- You should not bring costly jewellery items with you.
- An alarm clock.
- You may even get some of the items already in the rehab and so you may not require to come with yours.
- The original bottle from the drugstore with the information label integral and your actual prescription medicine.
- If you are taking a liquid drug, the bottle must be sealed.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- Some cash can also be carried in small amounts £50-£100 in smaller bills for vending machines and store runs.
- Credit cards that will be used to cater for the expenses inside the rehab.
- Your insurance cards along with a method of identification [driver's license, passport, etc.].
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- Your personal journal.
- Envelopes and stamps.
- Some picture of close relatives and friends.
- Reading materials like books however, some centres provide them to you.
- If you wish to carry reading materials for yourselves, you must understand that the subjects must only be on the recovery, self-help and spiritually oriented.
- TIP It is recommended that you carry just paperback books because they are easy to carry around than hardcovers.
What Clothes For The Centre
You need to be aware of what clothes are permitted in the rehab you are going to. In case you are not aware about how the weather will be like, carry some summer as well as winter clothes with you.
This however does not mean that you should carry your whole closet.
Patients enjoy access to common laundry machines and therefore clothing that will last you for 7-10 days will be more than enough. Packing on clothing that is easy to wash and will not require dry-cleaning will prove helpful.
Keep the weather in mind and bring a seven day weather-appropriate set of clothes like.
- Shoes Bring the shoes that you feel comfortable in .
- Shirts For slightly revealing articles, you may bring cardigans or pullovers to cover it to avoid dress code policy issues.
- Shorts These also need to be suitable to comply with the centres dress code.
- One or two smart dresses for special occasions.
- Bathing suit Choose one-piece suits for woman and trunks for men.
- A Jacket/Coat.
- A bath robe.
- A belt.
- A hat Some centres do not allow wearing hats inside the premises.
Beauty And Hygiene Products To Pack
A number of centres require alcohol-free toiletries and personal products. However, these requirements varies from one centre to another. Do not bring aerosols.
You should hygiene and cosmetic products that should last a month
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair styling products [pump hairspray only]
- Hygiene products for women
- Shaving cream
Items Prohibited In Rehabilitation
Almost all treatment centres have a list of forbidden items and they enforce a set of rules. These items don't guarantee the proper surroundings for your retrieval and aren't safe Please find below the list of objects that are forbidden, it may be different from clinic to clinic
- Drugs and alcohol
- Medicines that are not prescribed
- Sharp objects and weapons
- Pornographic materials
- Food and drink
- Body sprays with alcohol content
- Unapproved or previously opened OTC medications.
- Nail products
- Computer games
- Games equipment
- Sexy or revealing clothing
- Cleaning agents like bleach or ammonia
- Electronics [televisions, gaming consoles, etc.]
- Candles and incense
- Clothing with profanity or references to drugs, alcohol or violence
While you might not expect certain things to be banned, like electronic products and sport equipment, but many centres do not allow them. The centres do not distractions of any form that would make you lose your focus on your road to recovery. The centre houses most such items and you will enjoy access to them as per the guidelines of your centre.
Most clinics will prohibit food and drinks coming from outside as they don't respect proper sugar and caffeine quantities. You will get all the meals that you need on a daily basis. You should inform your facility beforehand in case you are on a special diet.
Items Which Some Facilities Allow And Some Do Not
There are clinics that may permit items that are forbidden in others as every centre has its regulations. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Cell phone and Laptop
- The laptops and pcs are restricted in some places while allowed in others depending on the rehabs policies.
- Just don't forget to take the charger with you.
- You may be allowed to smoke at some time.
- However, you may be restricted in the number of cigarettes you are to take in a day.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- OTC medications should be brand new.
- Chewing gum
- They have to be closed and sealed.
- MP3 and CD Players
- It is sometimes possible to carry items that don't have an internet connection or speakers.
- Some clinics permit cameras without internet connection for those who love pictures.
- Shaving Equipments
- Because there is risk of injury, many centres don't allow them.
- You can bring disposable razors with you.
- Nail Cutters
- Clippers are allowed although some centres consider this as a contraband.
- Additional Items
- You could be allowed to bring in your own bedding, pillows and some other stuff to make your room more comfortable.
- It is best to call up the rehab centre and check if they allow such items.
Can I Get Prohibited Items Back That I Accidentally Took
Don't freak out if you bring along something forbidden after you get to the clinic. The person who brought you to the centres will be requested to carry the prohibited item's back home by the rehab centres. Your objects are kept for 24 hours in other centres until someone collects them. You may also choose to pick the after the session ends.
You are likely to travel alone if you are commuting by air and so there won't be anyone to take the prohibited items home. You are therefore recommended to call your rehab centres before you leave home to double check their policies. You would obviously want any prohibited items that you've brought along by mistake to be returned to you when you leave. In case they do not do temporary safe keeping, then inquire if they can facilitate shipment to someone you know.
Make Packing For Rehab Simple To ensure smooth and easy process when checking in, just follow your centre's rules and policies about allowed items. They always have documents that give details of this information. Follow the general rule and try to pack light to keep it down to the necessities.
Find Support Now
A number of treatment centres will allow you to bring certain things, which can make your life comfortable during the treatment. Talk to our experts who can assist you in your goal of locating a suitable treatment centre.
Call us now on 0800 246 1509 for help in finding a centre.